Monday, July 18, 2016

Mary Poppins Album En Francais

I picked this up with a bunch or regular Disney albums and didn't notice until I got it home that it was Mary Poppins En Francais (in French). I then thought that the music would be the regular English versions, and just the album jacket would be in French. To my surprise, when I put it on my record player what I heard was the entire album in French. It made me giggle to listen to Supercalifragilisticexpidelilicieux, it sounded so similar and yet so different. If you want to hear it, just go to Youtube and copy and paste the title of the song. I found a number of versions available to listen to.
This album is Buena Vista Records [Monaural] BV-3335, Walt Disney Productions 1964.
Mary Poppins En Francais Front Cover

Mary Poppins En Francais Vinyl Record














As a side note: On the great inner sleeve which promoted "Exciting Sounds on Buena Vista Records", I noticed they listed the price for Monaural and for Stereo versions of each album. For instance the Fantasia original sound track three record and beautifully illustrated book was [WDX-101-MONAURAL] $9.50 and [STER-101-STEREO] $11.50. I guess this means that you could walk into a record store in 1964 and see a Monaural and a Stereo version of the same album sitting side by side on the shelve. More likely, most shops would probably just pick one or the other to keep on hand, and chances are many people didn't realize there was a difference.  It certainly took me many years to figure this out.

No comments: